Part V – Founder of the Perpetual Rosary Sisters Conclusion


“So great was Fr. Saintourens’ love for the august Mother of God and so 

utterly convinced was he that the prayer of the Perpetual Rosary “gave the 

most beautiful and desirable form to this love”, that he soon sought 

permission to establish religious communities dedicated exclusively to this 

work. In this way the Rosary could truly be perpetual.


25 August 1881

“…All the life of the Sisters of this institute converges toward Our Lady of the

 Rosary and her beloved work…”


8 September 1881

“In all things and places the Dominican Sisters of the Perpetual Rosary adore

 Jesus through Mary and honor Mary in Jesus…Thus, the Sisters, while 

meditating on the mysteries which accompany the recitation of the Rosary in

 their Hour of Guard ought to be penetrated with the fruit of each mystery, 

that is the virtue which it recalls and to put it into practice in their life 

according to the principle of the Rosary.”

Due to religious persecution in France, the Sisters were forced to relocate 

from the first foundation made in the city of Calais, 20 May 1880. They 

moved to safety into Belgium where they flourished and in 1891, as a result 

of Fr. Saintourens’ missionary journeys, the first American foundation was 

made in Union City, NJ. In time, numerous other houses were founded in 

the USA, Europe, Japan and the Philippines. Our own Monastery, here in 

Fatima, was founded 16 June 1954.





← BACK  |   ↑ TOP